Alleged $5 million NDIS fraud accused refused bail after Adelaide Airport arrest

A 38-year-old man accused of involvement in an alleged $5 million fraud against the National Disability Insurance Scheme has been refused bail after prosecutors argued he posed a flight risk.

Foluso Omole, a dual Australian and Nigerian citizen, appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court after being arrested by the Australian Federal Police at Adelaide Airport on Friday.

The court heard prosecutors allege Mr Omole had purchased a one-way ticket to Nigeria and was preparing to leave Australia when he was arrested.

The prosecution also alleged he had transferred significant amounts of money to Nigeria, where his wife lives.

Alleged NDIS fraud

Mr Omole worked as an NDIS coordinator and operated two businesses that employed several staff members at the time of the alleged offending.

Prosecutors told the court he allegedly received information improperly from a woman employed by the National Disability Insurance Agency over a period of about six years.

It is alleged that information was then used to obtain financial benefits fraudulently.

The woman has also been charged and is due to appear separately in court.

Mr Omole faces charges including dealing with proceeds of an indictable crime worth more than $1 million.

He has not yet entered pleas.

Defence disputes flight risk

Defence lawyer Mark Twiggs challenged the prosecution’s version of events.

He told the court his client said he had planned to travel on a return ticket to London, which had been purchased before police carried out a raid linked to the investigation.

Mr Twiggs also said his client had no criminal record and denied the allegations.

However, Magistrate Patrick Hill refused bail, saying he remained concerned that Mr Omole posed a risk of leaving the country.

Mr Omole will remain in custody and is expected to return to court next month.

The allegations have not been proven and will be tested before the court.